Cherokee Burn Ban Lifted, Permit Still Needed

Although the burn ban was lifted on Oct. 1, you will still need to get a permit to burn debris this fall and winter.

Cherokee County residents wishing to burn leaves and other natural debris must acquire outdoor burning permits, although the outdoor burning ban was lifted on Oct. 1.

Residential burning permits are good for one day at one location, and will only be issued for hand-piled natural vegetation such as leaves or branches. Permits will not be issued for burning construction debris, tires or other man-made material.

How residents acquire permits depends on where they live. Below is a list of Cherokee locales and how those residents acquire burn permits:

  • Unincorportated Cherokee: Get a permit from the Georgia Forestry Commission. On their website, select "Cherokee" in the drop-down menu and follow the menus to get the permit.
  • Within Waleska, Ball Ground, Nelson or Holly Springs City Limits: Obtain a burn permit from the Cherokee County Fire Department's website.
  • Canton: Contact Fire Marshal Dean Floyd at (770) 479-7287.
  • Woodstock: Obtain a permit on the fire department's web site. Woodstock allows only residential burning.

All fires must be extinguished an hour before dark.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »