School has ended. Temperatures are in the sweltering mid 90s. I guess it is safe to say that summer has arrived.
For some this is a time of celebration. No more freezing temperatures, no more school, and tan skin. For others this is a sticky, humid, sweaty, and just exhausting. I myself am more of an early-spring or fall type of girl. The whole make up running down my face while I am being eaten alive by mosquitoes really isn't my thing.
Regardless of your feelings towards the summer season, there are a few definite positives. The longer sunlit hours and weekends filled with outdoor activities are always memorable.
To help you celebrate the good times of this season, or to simply help your countdown to October get here faster, I am supplying a list of fun summer "adult beverages."
So set down that Bud Light Lime or that Corona and try something new. The kids are home from school after all, you deserve it.
- 2 ounce(s) Absolut Citron vodka
- 1 ounce(s) Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 splash(es) fresh lime juice
- 1 splash(es) orange juice
- Sugar, for garnish
- Orange slice, for garnish
Pour all ingredients over ice in a shaker or large glass and shake vigorously. Rim a glass with sugar and serve on the rocks. Garnish with an orange
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh rosemary, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 1 cup(s) water
- 6 ounce(s) (3/4 cup) gin
- 1/2 cup(s) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon(s) agave syrup
Cut 12 thin slices of cucumber for garnish. Peel and chop the rest of the cucumber; transfer to a food processor, add rosemary, and puree. Pour the puree through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or large measuring cup. Press on the solids to extract all the juice. Add water, gin, lemon juice, and agave syrup to the cucumber juice; stir until the agave is dissolved. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with cucumber slices and rosemary sprigs.
WHITE WINE SANGRIA
- 1 pint(s) strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 2 oranges, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 2 lemons, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 3 peaches, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 3 bottle(s) white wine (dry to semidry), such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
- 1 liter(s) sparkling water
Place all fruit in a large pitcher or bowl, add wine, and allow to sit at room temperature 4 to 24 hours. When ready to serve, add sparkling water and ice. Serve in a bowl with a ladle (make sure there's fruit in every serving).
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 4 cup(s) crushed ice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) good-quality tequila
- 1 cup(s) freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 8 limes)
- 1 cup(s) Triple Sec
In the bottom of a large (2-quart) pitcher, crush together mint and salt, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon. Add ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and Triple Sec, stirring vigorously. Serve in short tumblers or wineglasses.